“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven,hallowed be your name...." Matthew 6: 5-9 ESV
Prayer is the most effective tool a believer in Christ has for their own spiritual journey and for those around them. But how and what we pray must be according to Holy Spirit for any prayer to be fruitful. Prayer is simple. It is not hard, but must be wholehearted. Jesus told us to pray to the Father in a closet with the door shut. Prayer is the whole-hearted, intimate conversation between you and the Lord. It is where you can cry, break, decree, whisper, shout, all the promises of the Lord over you in every situation. It is where God reveals His Word to be spoken and released on earth as it is in Heaven.
Here are some helpful tips on how to pray:
- Honor the Lord and His goodness first with your lips.
- Pray with a thankful heart
- Be honest, speak to the Lord your thoughts, and how you would say them. He is the God that hears you.
- Listen. Let the Lord reveal the thoughts of His heart for you to pray.
- Read out the Scriptures you are standing for in your life, or want to see happen in your life or for those around you.
- Pray out loud, don't be silent.
- Pray in the Spirit.
- Be bold. Do not doubt. "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24
- Thank the Lord for the answered prayer.